Friday, October 29, 2010

Book Review: My So-Called-Freelance Life

I recently finished the book My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire written by Michelle Goodman. With witty comedic styling, Goodman pushes for a sense of informed preparedness when deciding to take the plunge into a freelance career.

My favorite sections teach the reader how to maintain a budget and schedule their work week (and how the two are connected). Negotiations and dealing with clients are also tough topics; especially for those creatives out there that don't have the business persona of Jack Donaghys.

As a struggling freelance writer, she admits to encountering some business sink-holes. Thankfully, she lives to tell the tale as a thriving professional. I recommend this as a great book for freelance therapy; with its underlying success story, it will give you a zap of motivation. I have ear-marked at least a dozen sections that I want to come back to and research further--from communicating with customers to establishing long-term goals and even the F-word (finance), Goodman starts you out on the right foot.

I see this book as a great starting point if you're in search for career advice. Short, sweet, and full of chuckles, this book will reside in my collection for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment